Who is a Named Person?

A Named Person will normally be the health visitor or family nurse practitioner for a preschool child and a promoted teacher - such as a head teacher, or guidance teacher or other promoted member of staff - for a school age child.

To obtain a list of Named Person’s in your area, please see below:


North Ayrshire – Named Person Service

Health and Social Care Partnership/Education North Ayrshire Council, Cunninghame House, IRVINE KA12 8EE

Tel: 01294 317787

Email: namedpersonservice@north-ayrshire.gov.uk


South Ayrshire

Health Visiting Service: 01292 559861 or


Education: 01292 559858 or

Email: EducationSecure@secure.south-ayrshire.gov.uk


East Ayrshire – Named Person Service

Health Visiting service: 01563 545730

Education: 01563 555653 or

Email: NamedPersonService@east-ayrshire.gcsx.gov.uk

The School Office contacts can be accessed here

Named Person duties

The Named Person duties are integrated into their current role and strengthen the support they currently provide, formalising their role as a central contact for children, young people, parents and the ‘team around the child’ supporting them. All children are entitled to a Named Person they can decline the support offered by the Named Person at any time..

The Named Person will help families and the services that support them to work in partnership. A Named Person will be a single point of contact available to parents, children and young people by law to make getting help and advice more straightforward and joined up. There is no obligation to take up the offer of advice or support. Named Persons have no new legal powers to compel parents, children or young people to accept advice, support or help.

The Named Person will promote, support and safeguard a child’s wellbeing.

These functions are:

  • To offer information, advice or direct support; or help to access a service or support; or to raise a matter with other services or authorities.
  • A Named Person will be available to listen, advise and help a child or young person and their parent(s), provide direct support or help them access other services. For example, a health visitor might ask for help from a speech and language therapist, or a guidance teacher may put parents in touch with a local bereavement counselling service.
  • They will also be a point of contact for other services if they have any concerns about a child’s wellbeing needs.

Take our training on Girfec

Find Out More

Children's Change Programmes

Find Out More

Supporting Ayrshire's children, young people & their families